It’s that time again! It’s time for the annual education technology conference that takes over the nation each year in late June: ISTE2016! This year, the conference is being held in Denver, Colorado. Though there will be thousands of people there, not everyone gets a chance to go to this amazing conference. (Sidenote: I, David, have been to several, starting back when it was known as the NECC conference many moons ago)
But, what if you CAN’T be there? How do you keep up with what’s happening? Thankfully, there is social media coverage in full swing! To help you keep up with where to go and what to follow, we’ve compiled some handy hashtags, sites, and tips.
- Get on Twitter. Now. Use the SEARCH feature to find #iste2016 and follow it! You will also want to follow #notatiste and #notatiste2016 as well, since, you know, you’re NOT at ISTE…
- EduTechGuys – We will be doing our own #NotAtISTE broadcasts each day at 4:00pm Central. We’re asking folks that ARE at ISTE to phone in (via Google Hangout Event) and give us a rundown of what they did that day! Tune in to radio.edutechguys.com for this unique, live event!
- MicrosoftEDU – Check out their Facebook Page for live look-ins and updates during the conference!
- You might also want to check out ISTE’s “Recent Blogs” section: http://connect.iste.org/browse/blogs/recentblogs
- FOLLOW the people that are posting about ISTE if they are sharing things that interest you and/or appeal to your classroom needs/wants. Here is the Twitter “list” with over 300 ISTE presenter members! Follow THOSE folks if you aren’t sure who to follow!
- Join the Google Plus group “NotAtISTE” – It is a closed group, so you have to ask for admittance, but that should not be a problem!
- Tony Vincent does LIVE Periscope look-ins during ISTE! https://www.periscope.tv/tonyvincent
The main point here is that even though you AREN’T at the ISTE conference, you can still have a cool, fun, “living vicariously through conference-goers” experience! The key is to take time each day to check in with the hashtags and the folks you are following. If you are new to Twitter, don’t worry – you don’t have to post a thing. You can simply use the hashtag searches and start following people that appeal to you and your needs/style/wants.
Of course, we at EduTechGuys would LOVE it if you would join us each day of ISTE at 4pm Central for online, live call-ins, updates, and more!
What if you *ARE* at ISTE!? Well, then, PLEASE feel free to join us LIVE to share your experience! Be sure to follow @EduTechGuys on Twitter and Facebook to learn how you can join the live Google Hangout coverage for those of us that are #NOTatISTE2016!